June 28, 2011

Garden Update #3 - Week 5

I must admit I’ve been feeling a little lost for words this week.  I think I’m still recovering from my weekend weeding frenzy.

The garden is now 5 weeks old, or was on Sunday the 26th.  Everything is growing at an okay rate.  We have received a significant amount of rain again that was accompanied by cooler than average temperatures.  Everything is responding well to all the moisture and it seems as though the ants have left and moved to higher ground (knock on wood), now only if we would get some warmer temperatures.


Beans - reseeded

Last week I replanted a few beans because there were some that didn’t germinate.  They have taken to the moisture and are now starting to grow to fill in the dead spots.   I’ve also noticed that some of the plants seemed to be dying, specifically the spinach, swiss chard and beets.  I’ve had many theories about this issue and have decided it will be the topic of my next post. 



Radish with Root Worm


The potatoes, onions and tomatoes seem to be behind where they were last year this time but everything else is on track.  We even snacked on some more radishes, and unfortunately, a few had some unwanted company this time. 


The peas are growing like crazy and once I have time to thin the beets, turnips and carrots I’m sure they’ll take off as well.  Thinning is on the agenda for the long weekend, weather permitting.

Starting to thin the beets
Last weekend, in between all the rain, I managed to get into the garden and do some weeding.  I must admit it is soooo much easier to weed right after it’s rained and the soil is wet.  When it’s dry it’s like trying to pull them out of concrete.  It might be a little dirtier to weed when the dirt is wet but it is so much easier to get the task done.  Finally getting some weeding done makes the garden look much better and also makes me feel better.  All that’s left to weed now is the potato patch.

Instead of fighting to post pictures within the blog, I’ve decided to added a “Week 5” album to the Thirsty Dirt Facebook page.  You should hopefully be able to link on the link below to be redirect to the page.  If not, just log onto Facebook and search “Thirsty Dirt.”


http://www.facebook.com/pages/thirstydirtblogspotcom/150263811709695

No comments:

Post a Comment