June 05, 2011

Garden Update # 1 – Day 14

It’s almost 14 days to the minute that we planted the garden.  The seedlings started emerging from the ground at the end of last week and now everything is up except for a one zucchini seed and the potatoes.  I’m not surprised the potatoes aren’t up yet as they were planted fairly deep and they didn’t have very many eyes.  The zucchini I’m sure will make an appearance in a day or two as the ground is starting to crack and lift where it was planted.

zucchini, day 14
We’ve had some fairly warm weather with little rain the past two weeks and we were starting to discuss hauling water already.  A few days ago this all changed as the temperature dropped drastically and we were given the gift of snow from Mother Nature along with ¾ of an inch of rain; needless to say we are well stock with water again. 
Today, Day 14, it is was a comfortable, sunny 19C.  I took advantage of the dry, sunny weather to tidy up the garden after the mess we made when we covered everything a few days ago.  The garden was like a mini mud bog at that time so the dirt needed to be raked out and leveled or we would have craters from our boots for the entire summer.

Tomato Patch, 24 plants, day 14
I had a few spare tomato plants hanging around incase I needed to replace a few that flew victim to frost. 

Since they all survived the first 14 days and Friday's snow we decided to plant the extras and increase the size of our tomato patch. 
My tomatoes were also looking a little sickly due to the high UV we’ve had this year.  The UV was starting to bleach some of the larger older leaves whereas the new growth looked a lot hardier with deep green leaves.  I’m paranoid that the pale, burnt leaves will make my plants sick so I also did some pruning today and I must admit they look much healthier.

Peas, day 14

The weeds are also starting to grow so weeding will be put on the schedule soon.  This week we’ll have to string up the peas already.  Last year we left it too late and we fought with them all summer to grow on the chicken wire.

It’s exciting to see everything growing so well.  I love my garden but I worry profusely about the health of my plants and the bugs that will attack them.  Once things start to dry I’ll have to get out there with my shaker of DE.


I've included a few other photos.  As there isn't really too much to see yet I haven't posted pictures of everything.  In the future as things continue to grow there will be more to show. :)





Radish, day 14

Beans, day 14

Onions & Garlic, day 14

Carrots, day 14




No comments:

Post a Comment