May 28, 2012

And So It Begins … And Ends (Kinda)

So the garden was planted over the May Long Weekend.  It was the third year in a row we were out planting the garden as the chuckwagon trucks rolled by.

This year instead of rushing to get everything planted we took our time and spread the planting over two days.   I still have my seedlings to transplant and now that the fence is up they should be in the ground tomorrow.

I think we went a little crazy with what we planted, it everything grows well we could have an over abundance of fresh vegetables – nothing to complain about that’s for sure!!

This is what we planted:
                                  Sunflowers (45 ft)
                                  Potatoes – Yukon Gold & Norland (approximately 60 of each)
                                  Peas – Green Arrow (50 ft)
                                  Peas – Sugar Sprint (15 ft)
                                  Soy Bean – Beer Friend (5 ft)
                                  Spinach – Tyee (36 ft)
                                  Beets – Detroit Red (36 ft)
                                  Beets – Touchstone Golden (18 ft)
                                  Beets – Chioggia (Candy Cane) (18 ft)
                                  Beans – Yellow, Gold Rush (72 ft)
                                  Swiss Chard – Silverado (36 ft)
                                  Carrots – Bolero (72 ft)
                                  Turnip – Purple Prince & Laurentian (18 ft of each)
                                  Onions – White, Yellow, Red (10 ft of each)
                                  Green Onions (5 ft)
                                  Shallots (5 ft)
                                  Dill (10 ft)
                                  Garlic (10 ft)
                                  Squash – Small Wonder (Spaghetti), Papaya Pear (2 plants of each)
                                  Zucchini – Golden Dawn III (2 plants)
                                  Zucchini – Elegance (6 plants)

Still to transplant: tomatoes (18), celery (6), broccoli (6), cauliflower (4), cabbage (2)

Goodness that seems like a lot… did I mention my garden is bigger than some people’s houses – it’s approximately 1800 square feet!!!

Similar to last year, the day after we were done planting we received two days of heavy rain followed by a thunder storm on the third day.  The rain was the first in a long time and it allowed us to get about 1400 L of water in storage; which was a good thing because its been so hot and dry the past few days we’ve already been watering.

On Sunday we noticed the turnips (purple prince), spinach and potatoes were starting to make an appearance.  Today we notice a single pea (green arrow) and bean and that almost the entire row of beets (detroit red) are also gracing us with their presence.  We’re supposed to get some lite rain over night so hopefully that will give everything else a little boost!

So that being said, the beginning of garden season has started; and I think the end of blogging is near. Last year I enjoyed blogging about my garden but by the end of the season it started to feel like something I was obligated to do.  Anyone who has a blog can truly understand how time consuming it can be and right now I would rather spend my time doing other things.  From time to time if I stumble across something interesting that I feel the need to share I will but the multiple postings per week will stop…. And who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind later!

So thank you to everything who followed my blog, keep in touch and Happy Gardening!!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! I liked your blogs. But, you can still send me pictures on my email. And..bring me stuff when you come up. Mom

    ReplyDelete