March 28, 2012

Seed Vitality & Longevity

When I started to make my seed wish list for the garden I began to wonder if the seeds I had in storage were still good; I tend to over shop for seeds and have a surplus from the previous year’s garden, some of which would be entering their third year.  I figured I could risk using the old seed or throw them out and get new.  As I wasn’t too keen on having to purchase new, I decided to do some research - off to the inter-web I went.

Very quickly I discovered there are many website that discuss seed longevity.  By reviewing many different lists, I drew the conclusion that most seeds are good for 3 to 4 years, with a few exceptions.  This got me thinking, are seeds like that container of yogurt or sour cream in the fridge that lasts well past its best before date, or are they like raw chicken left uncooked – something you don’t want to touch?  And then I stumbled across a blog that talked about testing seeds.  Perfect!

So here is it, how to test if your seeds are good:

1)      Choose 10 seeds from the package of seeds you wish to test. 
Ten is a good amount to use because it allows you to easily extrapolate your finding to the rest of the seed package.  Ex: If only one seed germinates, you have 10% chance the rest of the seeds will.

2)      Take a damp paper towel, fold in it half, and place your ten seeds on half of it. Fold the paper towel again so that the seeds are sandwiched between the layers.  (If you are testing larger seeds like peas or beans it may work better if you put them in a glass jar with wet paper towel on top.)


3)      Place your “seed sandwich” in a zippy and seal.

4)      Keep the baggie in a warm area and check daily to make sure the paper towel is damp.

5)      After a week, or a few days if you’re impatient like me, take out and unfold the paper towel to see what is happening.  You may start to see some sprouting action or you may see nothing.

6)      Make sure to keep the paper towel damp and continue to check your seeds until they have sprouted or you feel nothing more is going to happen.  Keep in mind the longer the seeds take to germinate the less healthy they are. (Of course this also depends on the type of seeds.)

When I did this, I tested three types of onion seeds.   According to what I had read, onion seeds were only good for one year.  As these seed were about to enter their third year of existence I felt it important to test them.
My results: only 40% of the green onion seeds sprouted, 80% of the white onions sprouted (extremely slowly) and 100% of the red onions sprouted within a ten days.  My conclusion: turf the green and white onion seeds, keep the red onions.
Happy seed testing!

No comments:

Post a Comment